» All dogs over 6 months old must be licensed.
» Licenses must be RENEWED every April 1st
RENEWALS ONLY can be purchased through Recreation Department ON LINE registration site.
GO TO Rectrac site and register for activity 244699-01. Add each dog as a family member before going to registration page. You will need a Recreation Department user name and ID to access this option.
There is a $1 surcharge to use the online option for postage and handling
RENEWALS PROCESSED AFTER APRIL 10, 2013 are be subject to a $25 unlicensed citation assessed by the Animal Control Officer.
» What forms are needed?
- A check for $20 if the animal is not spayed or neutered
- A check for $12 if the animal is spayed or neutered, as well as a copy of a Spaying or Neutering Certificate or a letter from the vet
- $25 UNLICENSED VIOLATION FINE IN ADDITION TO LICENSE FEES (after April 10, 2013)
- Rabies Vaccination Certificate (once the rabies expiration date is on file you only need to send a certificate for updated shots).
» Checks should be made payable to the Town of Wellesley
» FOR NEW DOGS or renewals by mail -License applications should be filed with the town clerk, or mailed to:
525 Washington St.
Wellesley, MA 02482
MAIL-IN applications should include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
ANIMAL CONTROL LAWS IN WELLESLEY
The Town of Wellesley has a LEASH LAW (TBL Article 47). When a dog is off the property of its owner or keeper it must be on a leash not exceeding 7 feet. While on parkland/school property the dog must be leashed if the park has been posted. On non-posted parklands the dog must be under control and respond immediately to one command to COME and remain sitting beside the owner or keeper. Dogs may not run up to or assault other citizens and their pets who are using the area. Violations of this bylaw may result in a fine of $50 for each offense.
- Miscreant Dog or Pet: Any dog or pet which 1) shall do bodily injury to any person subject only to the exception contained in Section 155 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws; 2) shall have attacked, wounded, or killed any other dog or pet; 3) not under restraint shall assault any person (who is not his owner, keeper or member of the owner's household) peaceably standing, walking or riding upon a public way or sidewalk; 4) shall be determined by the Dog Officer to be a nuisance by reason of a vicious disposition or excessive barking or other disturbance or a source of annoyance to any sick person residing in the vicinity; 5) shall have been determined by the Dog Officer to be living in a wild state; and further, 6) any dog which shall not have been registered and licensed in accordance with the provisions of Section 137 of Chapter 140 of the General
Laws; and 7) any dog while on a Town street or way, sidewalk, or tree lawn which is not under the control of its owner, keeper, or handler and on a leash or chain having a length of not more than seven (7) feet, except when contained in a motor vehicle on said Town street or way, shall be deemed a miscreant dog; or any dog while on property owned or under the administration of the Town of Wellesley which is not under the control of its owner, keeper or handler and/or not in compliance with any regulations posted thereon by the person or person(s) having authority or administration of said property, shall be deemed a miscreant dog; 8) any dog upon the premises of anyone other than the owner or keeper without the knowledge and permission of the owner or occupant of such premises.
Natural Resources Commission Regulations
Dog Control on Town Land
1. Anyone may walk 2 dogs on a leash or under voice control on park and conservation land.
2. Wellesley residents who own 3 licensed dogs will automatically be issued a permit allowing them to walk their three dogs on park or conservation land.
3. Anyone who wishes to walk a maximum of three dogs that are licensed in Wellesley shall apply for and be issued a permit through the NRC Office.
4. A fine of $50 will be issued for any violation of this regulation by the Town Animal Control Officer.
5. The NRC requests the everyone pick up after their dogs. (Bags and recepticles are provided at the entrance to many parks).
1. Unlicensed Dog - $25.00 (plus the licensing fee)
2. Out of date or no rabies on file $50.00 (cat or dog)
3. Violation of TBL 47.2b - $50.00 (loose, not under control of owner, or miscreant, etc)
Cats and ferrets do not require a license but current rabies must be on file with the Animal Control Officer.