Disease, Virus and Flu
Wellesley Health Department (WHD) is monitoring the recent outbreak of a virus called CoronaVirus 2019-nCoV . On February 11, 2020, the World Health Organization announced an official name for the disease that is causing the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak, COVID-19. US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will be updating its website and other CDC materials to reflect the updated name. CDC coronavirus website
As of February 1, 2020, there has been one confirmed case of Coronavirus in a Boston man in his 20’s. The risk to the public from the Coronavirus remains low in the state, according to a statement released by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Boston Public Health Commission.
The Health Department is receiving regular updates from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) and the CDC on this situation.
The Coronavirus is a respiratory illness that was first identified in Wuhan, China, by authorities in late December 2019 and has sickened a growing number of people in Asia, Australia, Europe and the United States. Some symptoms of this virus are similar to those experienced with colds or the flu.
Detailed information about the Coronavirus can be found on the CDC website and through the following resources:
- Q & A on Coronavirus (World Health Organization/WHO)
- Coronavirus Outbreak Summary and Map
- Coronavirus Prevention and Treatment
- Coronavirus update from Wellesley Public Schools
- Coronavirus Travel Guidelines
Influenza (flu) activity in the United States is high and expected to continue for weeks. Wellesley Health Department (WHD) is continually monitoring flu cases in our community. Three important actions to protect yourself against the flu are:
- Get vaccinated - WHD has a good supply of flu vaccine - please call to make an appointment for your flu shot: 781-235-0135
- Take basic precautions to stop the spread of germs
- If you get sick, seek treatment
Flu Resources for the Community
- Influenza Activity Report (CDC)
- Weekly US Map: Influenza Summary Update (CDC)
- Tips to Prevent the Flu (CDC)
Please check this website regularly for updates on flu season.