Hunnewell Tennis Courts
August 10, 2018
From the Parks Department:
Hunnewell Tennis courts #5 thru #8 and practice area will be closed August 13th thru approximately August 20th. Once those courts are open, courts #1 thru #4 will be closed August 21st thru approximately August 29th.
Schofield tennis courts will be closed for approximately one week between August 13th thru August 31st, depending on weather.
If needed, all courts may be closed for one or two days to make-up for delays in weather or to expedite the repair work. We will send out notices if this decision is made.
- SINGLES PLAY limited to 75 minutes (Honor System)
- DOUBLES PLAY limited to 90 minutes (Honor System)
- When using the courts, please be respectful of those players who are waiting to use courts.
- Whenever there are players waiting, all players must vacate courts after playing for 75 minutes (singles) and/or 90 minutes (doubles)
- Winners shall have no prior rights to remain on the courts.
- Players waiting to use a court must indicate in some clear way to those using the courts that they are waiting to use the court.
Postponed Activities Due to special events or circumstances, the Town of Wellesley reserves the right to postpone activities in or around the Hunnewell Field Complex including the Hunnewell Tennis Courts.
In an attempt to make sure paying tag holders are able to use tennis courts at night, we are instituting a new procedure this year. Every tag holder will receive an orange lanyard along with their tennis tag. When you arrive to the Hunnewell Tennis courts and find an open court, please take your lanyard/tag and loop the lanyard/tag around the Washington Street side fence closest to your desired court. This will show that you are a paying Tennis Tag holder and that you are using that respective court.
We hope this new procedure will show who the paying Tennis Tag holders are without having to be confrontational to someone who is not. A Recreation Department employee will periodically check to ensure night time players have purchased a Night Time Tennis Tag. Please limit the number of balls used on your court. Please be respectful and refrain from using a ball hopper during peak times.
Night time tennis requires a tag. After 6 p.m. you must have a tennis tag issued by the Recreation Department. Purchase of Tennis Tags pays for the cost of operating the lights. We are always looking for feedback regarding this program, so please feel free to contact at your convenience.
Rules of Play
- Singles play limited to 1 hour, 30 minutes (Honor System)
- Doubles play limited to 1 hour, 30 minutes (Honor System)
No private lessons are to be taught. Refer to Use of Public Facilities for Private Gain policy. (Exceptions must be authorized by the Recreation Department.)