Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detector inspections are required for all homeowners when selling a home. Appointments should be made at least 10 business days prior to the closing. Do not wait until the last minute! To schedule an appointment, you or your agent, should contact the Fire Prevention Office at (781) 235-1300 x -6229.
The Fire Prevention office is open Monday thru Friday from 7 am to 5 pm.
Callers will either be directed to an inspector or may leave a message with the appropriate information on the Fire Prevention phone line. If you leave a message, your call will be returned as soon as possible.
Please have the following information available to allow us to serve you better.
- Your Name
- Your Phone Number
- Address of Inspection
- Number of units in the building
Hours of inspection are between 9:30 - 1200 (on the half hour) each day and are made on a first-come, first serve basis.
The cost of the inspection is as follows:
- One family $50
- Two Family $100
- Three to Five Family $150
- Six Families and above $500
Payment is required at the time of the inspection. The ONLY acceptable forms of payment are: personal check, bank check, or money order made out to "Town of Wellesley".
Prior to the arrival of the Fire Department Inspector
- Make sure that your posted street number is visible from the street(MGL c.148 59)
- Make sure that you have the proper type of alarms
- The inspector may require that they be taken down for compliance verification
- Make sure that all alarms are installed in the proper locations.
- Make sure that all alarms are working properly.
- After passing the inspection, the fire department will issue your 26f Certificate of Compliance.
- Make sure all alarms have not expired/ (10 years for smoke alarms - 7 years for CO detectors)