- Stick With the Facts!
- We are strongly recommending that you only get your information from the MOST reliable sources:
- CDC (Center for Disease Control)
- WHO (World Health Organization)
- Town of Wellesley and the COA websites (www.wellesleyma.gov)
- Don’t Read/Watch TOO Much News – Remember as far as the media are concerned, “if it bleeds, it leads”.
- We recommend staying with major & reliable networks and don’t stay tuned in for too long; it may cause more anxiety. You really don’t need to hear the same thing five or six times. Check for updates periodically during the day, but listening 24/7 might not be a great idea.
- Don’t do too much online research or believe all you read on social media; there is a LOT of misinformation out there.
- If you are fit enough, a good brisk walk will help with anxiety and will help keep your immune system up to snuff. It also helps cabin fever. Obviously, practice social distancing and don’t make unnecessary stops in stores, etc. Consider wearing gloves and make sure to wash your hands when you get back home. I’ve seen crocuses and other signs of spring we don’t want to miss!
- Try some yoga or Tai Chi classes you can find on You Tube
- Watch a Movie or New Series – Get into a new series on TV or watch a couple of good movies on Netflix. Better yet, find an online class to watch. TedTalks are a great option and the topics are almost limitless. Be watching for some recommendations from us! The point is redirect your anxiety and use this opportunity to try something that might be new and stimulating.
- Do Your Part – Be responsible for your own health and help protect that of others
- Stay home – grocery shopping, medical appointments and a trip to the pharmacy, if needed, should be your reasons to be out and about right now.
- If you are out in the community,
- practice Social Distancing
- carry wipes and hand sanitizer and don’t touch your face
- if you need transportation, call the COA, we will make arrangements for you!
- Stay Connected!
- Face Time with family and friends
- Call the COA – we’d love to have a chat with you! We miss you!
- Set Up a Zoom Meeting – if you have family members or a group of friends you can still stay in touch with Zoom which will work on a computer or most smart phones. There are very good directions/videos online on setting this up. If you need help, call the COA!
- Eat Well and Moderate Alcohol and Caffeine
- Be sure to eat fruits & veggies to boost your immune system
- Alcohol and caffeine don’t help anxiety - consider moderating your consumption
- Meditation and Mindfulness – keep practicing and watch for some online recommendations from us
Wellesley Council on Aging
500 Washington St.
Wellesley, MA 02482
Please do not reply to this e-mail. For additional information please call the COA at 781-235-3961 or visit our website at www.wellesleycoa.org