Wellesley residents are urged to prepare for Tropical Storm Henri this weekend.
The storm, which could reach hurricane strength by the time it approaches Massachusetts on Sunday, August 22 is expected to bring high winds, heavy rain and possible flooding to our area. The storm may also cause some power outages.
Town officials, Wellesley Fire and Police Departments, the Municipal Light Plant, and the Department of Public Works will have extra staff on duty to assist residents with emergencies. Use the following phone numbers to report specific issues:
- For all emergencies, call 9-1-1
- For non-emergency assistance, call the Fire Department at 781-235-1300
- To report flooding, downed trees/limbs, street debris, or other non-emergency issues, call the DPW 24/7 hotline at 781-235-7600 ext. 3322
- To report power outages or other non-emergency electrical issues, call the MLP hotline at 781-235-7600 ext. 3390
- The MLP is reminding residents to stay safe and stay away from any downed wires.
Currently, the Recycling and Disposal Facility (RDF) will be open regular hours on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Any changes to these hours will be posted on the Town website and shared on the DPW Twitter feed @WellesleyDPW.
Here are tips for residents to help protect their homes and property.
- Check storm drain catch basins and clear any debris from covers to help prevent street flooding.
- Inspect and secure roofs if necessary.
- Clear gutters and downspouts to allow water to drain away from homes.
- Make sure window air conditioners are properly secured or brought inside.
- Secure outdoor patio furniture, grills, sports equipment, pool floats, etc. or bring them inside.
- If basements are prone to flooding, move contents to higher ground and check sump pumps.
- Fully charge cell phones in the event of a power outage.
If necessary, the Town will open emergency shelters at Wellesley High School for residents displaced from homes.
Updated information will be posted throughout the weekend on the Town website and Town social media pages:
- Wellesley Police Department Twitter feed @WellesleyPolice
- Wellesley DPW Twitter feed @WellesleyDPW
- Town of Wellesley Twitter feed @TownOfWellesley
- Town of Wellesley Facebook page @TownOfWellesley
Please stay safe in the storm!