The 2023 Boston Marathon is Monday, April 17. The race impacts many roads in Wellesley and requires multiple road closures.
Roads in Wellesley will close at 8:30 a.m. and remain closed until at least 3:30 p.m. Please note: this is an approximate time and is subject to change.
No traffic will be allowed across the race route once roads are closed!
The Marathon route divides Wellesley in half. The race enters Wellesley on Central Street (Rt. 135) at the Natick line near Wellesley College. The race route proceeds east on Central Street through Wellesley Square and then continues on Washington Street (Rt. 16) eastbound through Wellesley Hills and into the Lower Falls.
The race exits Wellesley on Washington Street at the Newton line.
The only way to cross over the route with a motor vehicle is to use Route 9 (Worcester Street) underneath Route 16 (Washington Street). Live updates on road status or changes will be posted on Twitter and Facebook on the day of the race under the Wellesley Police accounts @Wellesley Police.
Please note the following specific closures:
- Central Street will be closed from the Natick line to Grove Street.
- Washington Street will be closed from Grove Street to the Newton line.
- There will be no traffic allowed across the race route once the road is closed. Vehicles parked in parking lots along the route will not be allowed to leave until the roads have re-opened.
Some temporary ‘No Parking’ areas will be posted near the Marathon Route. Any vehicles parked in these temporary No Parking zones will be towed and removed at the owner’s expense.
On Sunday, April 16 starting at 9:00 p.m. Central Street from Weston Road to Grove Street, and Washington Street from Grove Street to Wellesley Avenue, will have barricades in place to allow for race set-up. There is No Parking on these sections of Washington Street and Central Street until the race has concluded the following day.
Additional temporary No Parking zones include:
- Curve Street on the west side from Linden Street to Crest Road
- Crest Road on the west side from Linden Street to Curve Street
- Howe Street on the south side from Weston Road to Curve Street
- Weston Road on the east side from Linden Street to Turner Road
- Central Street from Weston Road to Grove Street
- Linden Street from Weston Road to Crest Road on both sides of the road
- Wellesley Ave from Washington Street to Atwood Street
- Woodlawn Road, near the DPW entrance
- Garden Road one side to Colburn Road
- Colburn Road one side
- Chestnut Street one side
- Washington Street on both sides from Grove Street to the Newton line
- River Street
- Wareland Road
- Brook Street from Wellesley Avenue to Amherst Road
Due to the Patriot's Day holiday and the race, businesses and offices may be closed on Monday, April 17. Please check specific websites for information.
Good luck to all Boston Marathon runners!