Wellesley Fire & the Muscular Dystrophy Association
The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) has been working with Fire Departments across the United States for nearly 60 years.
The Wellesley Fire Department hosts a variety of fundraising events every year to raise money for the MDA. Some of those fundraising activities include a popcorn stand at July Jubilation, profits made by several candy/soda machines at each of the fire stations, and three “Fill the Boot” drives held at Roche Brothers on Linden Street. Additionally, The Wellesley Fire Local Union 1795 makes a yearly donation.
Where Does the Money Go
77% of every dollar MDA spends goes directly to research, services and education. 14% goes to fundraising and 9% for administration costs.
- $30: Flu Shot
- $74: 1 minute of research
- $100: 1 support group session
- $150: 1 occupational, physical, or speech therapy consultation
- $300: Professional fee related to initial diagnostic work-up at a MDA clinic
- $500: Annual repairs to medical equipment
- $800: 1 week at an MDA summer camp for one child