Applicants can stop by the Wellesley Police Department at their convenience to apply, typically each shift has at least one officer trained in the MIRCS firearms licensing program. However, in the case that no officers are available to process your application you may be asked to come back at a later time.
It is not necessary to complete an application prior to applying at the station, however you may download an application worksheet (PDF) to use as a rough draft. An online application must be completed at the station.
An applicant must submit all of the following:
- Valid Massachusetts Drivers License
- Proof of Residency (Listing in Most Recent List of Residents Book or Letter From Town Clerk) or Proprietor of a Business in Town
- $100 Application Fee - Cash or Check (Payable to Town of Wellesley) Applicants 70 and Over Free
- Fingerprints Required for First License to Carry (LTC) Firearms
- Valid Copy of a Massachusetts State Police Certified Basic Firearms Safety Course or a Hunter Safety Course
- Letter Addressed to Chief Jack Pilecki Detailing Your Needs for a License to Carry Firearms
- Two Letters of Reference From a Non-Relative With Phone Numbers Included
- Must Be 21 at Time of Application
Licenses are valid for not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from your birthday.
Class A LTC Entitlements
A class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, borrow, possess and carry firearms (handguns), rifles and shotguns including large capacity firearms, rifles and shotguns and feeding devices and ammunition therefore, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper.
Class B LTC Entitlements
A class B license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry firearms, rifles and shotguns including large capacity rifles and shotguns (but not firearms) and feeding devices and ammunition therefore, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper.
A class B licensee may possess large capacity shotguns and rifles including so-called assault weapons permitted by law, and all handguns except those which are semi-automatic with a magazine capacity of more than ten rounds, or which have been determined to be large capacity by their placement on the EOPS “Large Capacity Weapons Roster.”
A class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place.
Class C Firearms Identification (FID) Card Entitlements
A class C FID card shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry non-large capacity rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefore for all lawful purposes subject to the existing statutory restrictions regarding carrying on public ways, in vehicles, etc. An FID card also entitles a minor to purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition including chemical sprays.